The Proposed Final Draft for Servlet 3.0 is published.
There are quite a few new feautures and enhancements.
To sum up in general;
- No more need to web.xml.Simply use annotations. You just add @WebServlet at the top of your Java class and that’s it! For example: @WebServlet(urlPatterns=“/foo”, name=”MyServlet”, asyncSupported=true)
- Dynamic servlet registration. Programmatically configure and map servlets
- Configuration frameworks by another xml ,web-fragment.xml, not touching web.xml.
- resources of web app like jsp’s and static pages are located in bundled jar files as well. They do not need to be in webb app’s root.
- Asynchronous servlet support
- Annotation-based security
- Cookie configuration by web.xml
Here is a very concise and informative presentation about servlet 3.0